Golden Nuggets Blog
Tax season is here! So lets get a little prepared… Times like this can be stressful but learning more about getting organized for this can ease the pain tremendously!
Here are several and simple ways to get organized before the deadline date (April 17, 2018):
1. Getting Organized
a. Have a designated space for your tax records (office, bedroom desk, basement, etc.). Make sure everything is organized so you can review paperwork on a regular basis.
2. Organize and Label Receipts/invoices By the Correct Categories
a. For this, you can use envelopes to separate the categories. You can also put a paperclip for each category and label it with a sticky note. To make it more fun, you can color coordinate each section!
3. Print Receipts From Emails
a. When your receipts are emailed, it would be best to print them out when you get home rather than waiting until the end of the year to jam everything in.
4. Change Your Mindset
a. While tax season seems like a hassle, think about the benefits of getting your information together on time. The earlier it is done, the earlier you will get your refund.
5. Income Tax
a. By the end of January, every employee should get Form W-2 from the employer showing how much was earned, how much was taxable and taxes withheld. Of course, if you have more then one job then you will get more then one W-2 from your employers. If you are an independent contractor/own your own business, the company you work for will send you Form 1099-MISC showing your gross earnings.
We hope this helps you get organized for tax season! Let us know your input J
2018 New Year’s Resolutions… Are you ready for it?
If you go to the gym often, you will see tons of people at the gym right when January hits. Am I right?! Where did all these people come from? Lol. According to U.S. News, up to 80 percent of New Year’s resolutions fail by February. Change is hard, I know. So you have to get into habits to train your body and mind to be focused. There are a few different ways you can do to set yourself up for success! Keep track, be patient, and believe that you can do this! Keep reading to learn more.
1. Have an accountability partner aka buddy system, like a close friend or relative
Accountability partners are great. You hold each other accountable each day to make sure you are on track.
2. Set short-term goals for long-term results
People who break their goals into chunks generally have more success. It is also easier to accomplish your goals breaking it into sections
3. Make your resolution about the journey, not the outcome
Have control over your goals. Want to lose 20 pounds? Add in a healthy lifestyle (diet). This is something that you can control.
4. Tell people your goals
When you actually tell people your goals in public, you are more likely to keep them. This is called “social accountability”
We hope everyone sticks it out with their New Year’s resolution. There is no better feeling than accomplishing your goals.
** Here is a yummy smoothie recipe ** (allrecipes.com)
Kale and Banana Smoothie
· 1 banana
· 1 tablespoon flax seeds
· 2 cups chopped kale
· 1 teaspoon maple syrup
· ½ cup light unsweetened soy milk
Place the banana, kale, soy milk, flax seeds, and maple syrup into a blender. Cover, and puree until smooth. Serve over ice.
Shopping on Thanksgiving? YES or NO?
The topic of opening up stores on Thanksgiving remains a huge debate. More retailers may be even added to the 2017 list! There are some retailers who will open on Thanksgiving and remain opened through Black Friday. Then, there are some retailers who will open a few hours on Thanksgiving, close for a few hours and open again on Black Friday morning. Several business owners believe their associates should enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday with family and friends. On the other hand, some of our community and retailers think otherwise. Do you shop on Thanksgiving or do you wait until Black Friday? Let us know! We would love your input!
List of retailers open on Thanksgiving:
· Bass Pro Shops
· Best Buy
· Dick’s Supporting Goods
List of retailers closed on Thanksgiving:
· A.C. Moore
· Babies R Us
· BJ’s Wholesale Club
· Hobby Lobby
· Home Depot
· Sam’s Club
· TJ Maxx
Benefits of Walking 30 Minutes a Day
It is no secret that taking out 30 minutes of your day can benefit you in so many ways. Taking a walk or jog for that short amount of time can boost your health overall. Walking everyday helps speed up your metabolism and helps the body burn fat! What are the benefits of walking at least 30 minutes a day? Advantages?
Keep reading below so we can answer your questions!
· Hearth health: Stroke, diabetes, cardiovascular disease – minimizes your risk of these things with only a half hour of exercise per day to keep your hearth healthy and blood flow moving (www.genesisfitness.com).
· Weight loss: Even half hour of exercise per day can help you shed a few pounds or maintain weight loss. If you want to increase your weight loss, stick to high-intensity workout sessions. Even taking the stairs instead of the elevator at work could help you (www.genesisfitness.com)!
· Reduce stress: Believe it or not, a quick exercise can reduce your stress and clear your head. A 30-minute work out can increase the amount of norepinephrine in your body (the chemical that can moderate your brain’s response to stress and other situations). In some cases, exercise can be as effective as antidepressants in treating depression (www.genesisfitness.com).
· Mood booster: GREAT MOOD BOOSTER! Physical activity releases endorphins and the chemicals in your brain that leaves you feeling happy and relaxed (www.genesisfitness.com).
· Energetic: Can we agree that exercising gives you this burst of energy that we never experienced before?! Getting that 30 minutes of exercise a day will transfer oxygen and nutrients to your muscle tissues while helping your cardiovascular system (www.genesisfitness.com).
· Improve memory: If you’re looking to improve your memory overall, then we suggest getting that daily work out in! Working out increases the production of cells in hippocampus responsible for memory and learning (www.genesisfitness.com).
· Improve self-confidence: Your body will thank you for this! When you get in the grind of exercising at least 30 minutes a day and you suddenly skip a day, you instantly feel less than average. Don’t skip a day! It will give you the confidence that you need (www.genesisfitness.com).
· Increase productivity: Taking a 30-minute walk during your lunch break could just be the afternoon fix you need. Research shows that workers who take time away from their desk are more productive than their co-workers who do not (www.genesisfitness.com).
You see… No matter how old you are, taking out the time to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day can benefit you in varies ways! Do what’s best for your body J Let us know in the comments below if you have any questions or inputs!
Happy FIRST day of Autumn!
Flu season is here! Or should we say, the beginning of flu shot season. Let’s explore why it seems like there is such ambiguity around vaccinations, in this case, the benefits of flu shots? Should everyone get a flu shot? Do they always work? Can they make you actually sicker? Pros? Cons? Advantages? Disadvantages?
Keep reading below so we can answer these questions!
- Sometimes different strains of the flu virus begin spreading simultaneously. You may become infected with a strain of the flu virus that is different from the strain that was in your flu shot. The good news is you can still benefit from the flu shot, and possibly have a less severe case even if you do contract a different strain of the flu.
- A flu shot usually protects you for up to a year, against the strain of the flu virus that was added to the flu vaccine you received.
- Getting the seasonal flu vaccine can cut the risk of becoming infected with the flu by about 50 to 60 percent among the overall population.
- It’s estimated that 71 to 85 percent of flu-related deaths happen to people 65 years and older.
- Between 54 and 70 percent of flu-related hospitalizations occur among people 65 years and older.
- Flu shots do not cause you to become infected with the flu. Flu vaccinations contain dead viruses. The flu virus can live in your body for up to a week before you begin to feel sick. So if you get vaccinated and then feel sick, it’s likely you were already infected. (disabilitycanhappen.org)
- There can be several side effects from getting a flu shot, including: aches, low-grade fever, and soreness, redness, or swelling at the injection site.
- The intradermal flu shot may cause toughness and itching at the injection site
- It’s very rare, but serious allergic reaction can include: fast heartbeat, breathing problems, hives, dizziness, paleness, or weakness. These symptoms normally occur within a few minutes to a few hours after a flu shot is received. (disabilitycanhappen.org)
Who Can Get the Flu Shot:
- Pregnant women
- Children as young as six months old
- People with chronic health conditions
Who Cannot Get the Flu Shot:
- Children younger than six months old
- People with allergies to the flu vaccine
- People younger than 65 years old should not get the high-dose flu shot
- People younger than 18 years old or older than 64 years old should not get the intradermal flu shot
We hope all this information helped you! Ultimately, the decision to get vaccinated during flu season is entirely up to you. Let us know in the comments below if this information helped you make your decision for this fall J