Golden Nuggets Blog
End of Summer Healthy Foods
It is the end of the summer! It’s time to get out those grills and start making healthy foods! Let us know if these foods satisfied your hunger this summer J
Also, let us know if you enjoyed them!
· Tomato, Basil & Spinach Risotto
· Summer Veggie Pasta Skillet
· Strawberry Angel Food Cake Jars
· Peach Caprese Salad
· Grilled Thai Beef Salad
Happy July 4th!
Who is ready for the holiday? America will be celebrating another birthday. How exciting! This federal holiday has been around since 1961. If you are in charge of all the cooking, here are some recipes to take a look at:
Grilled Eggplant and Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich with Halloumi
· salt and pepper
· 1 medium eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick
· 8 slices bread
· 8 ounces halloumi, sliced 1/4 inch thick
· 2 roasted red peppers, cut into 4 slices
· 2 cups salad greens
· 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
· 4 tablespoons basil pesto
· 1/2 lemon, juice
1. Lightly brush the eggplant and bread with oil and season the eggplant with salt and pepper.
2. Grill the eggplant over medium high heat until tender, about 2-4 minutes per side.
3. Lightly grill the bread and haloumi on both sides and then hit the halloumi with the lemon juice.
4. Assemble the sandwiches and enjoy!
WARM CABBAGE SLAW
· 1/2 medium onion
· 1 medium carrot, peeled
· 4 cups (1 L) thinly sliced green cabbage (about 1/4 medium head0
· 1/4 cup (50 mL) cider vinegar
· 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) canola oil
· 2 tsp (10 mL) caraway seeds
· 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
· 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt and ground black pepper
1. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium-low heat.
Mexican corn on the cob
· 12 ears corn, husks and silk removed
· 1/2 cup (125 mL) light mayonnaise
· 1 cup (250 mL) finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
· 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
· 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cayenne pepper
· 1/4 cup (50 mL) snipped fresh cilantro
1. Bring 8 qt. (7.6 L) of water to a boil in . Trim ends from ears of corn. Carefully add corn to boiling water. Bring water back to a boil; cover, turn off heat and let stand 10-12 minutes. (Corn can be held in Stockpot until ready to serve.)
Summer Is Coming!
Summer is approaching. June 21! Doesn’t it feel like just yesterday you broke out the lawn chairs and barbeque? It’s time to enjoy your summer again and make memories with your friends and family. Here are some ideas to take you past Labor Day! Continue reading…
1. Go to the beach
2. Sip a drink
3. Rent an RV and travel for a couple days
4. Go fishing
5. Go on a boat ride
6. Practice yoga outside
7. Go for a jog
8. Go camping/hiking
9. Go to an amusement park
10. Go jet skiing
11. Go to an island
12. Go on an airplane
13. Try new places to eat
14. Go to concerts and listen to music
15. Sleep under the stars
16. Visit an old friend
Now go enjoy your summer J
Mother’s Day is approaching!
It’s about time to start thinking about Mother’s Day. What is the perfect Mother’s Day gift for the special one? Where are some great places to take her? We always want to appreciate our mother but Mother’s Day is the day to go above and beyond J
· What is the perfect gift for mom?
o Take her for a wonderful massage
o Canvas of her children to put on her wall
o Birth stone necklace
o Gift card to get her nails done
o Bouquet of flowers
o Anything CUSTOMIZED (It is more meaningful!)
· Where is the perfect place to take for mom?
o Mother-daughter spa
o Take her shopping
o All inclusive trip
Let us know if this helped you get some ideas!
What is the ketogenic diet? Also, known as “keto”
I know you have been hearing more and more about “keto.” What is it exactly? What are the benefits? Why do people do it? It is beginning to become so popular this year! The idea is that you can lose weight by replacing your source of energy (carbs) with FATS. Yes, I said it… FATS!! That means cheese, mayonnaise, butter. etc. Keep reading our blog for more info about this hot new diet! This may even change your life.
1. What exactly is the “keto” diet?
This is basically a lifestyle change. It is an eating plan that consists of 80 percent fat and little to no carbohydrates. Pasta, rice, and other grains, potatoes, and fruits are prohibited! Generally, during digestion, we break down carbohydrates. When your body does not have carbs to break down, it looks for other forms of energy (fats).
2. What are the health benefits?
“In the 1920s, epilepsy researchers found that increased levels of ketones in their patients resulted in fewer seizures, and the diet is still a widely accepted treatment for epilepsy today. There’s also some evidence that a ketogenic diet has therapeutic potential for a wide array of symptoms and diseases, including cancer, polycystic ovary syndrome, neurological conditions, diabetes, and even acne.” (www.thecut.com)
3. What can I expect on the keto diet?
You will most likely experience a rough start. As your body is changing and turning fat into ketones to be used as energy, you will notice various symptoms. You might experience headaches, mood swings, fatigue, nausea, etc. As your body adjusts over time, many of these symptoms will pass and you will experience a high level of energy.
Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Would you make this into a lifestyle change?